grim_reaperThere was once a young girl who was cursed with the burden of death. Once bonds are formed between her and another, a price is paid. When she spoke of him she gave him a new name, a name more suitable for the imaginary friend of a small child, because to her that is all he was. That name was Rupert. He was her best friend and she spoke of him fondly to all of the other kids in her home. Her parents had both died, her mother in childbirth, and her father in a terrible fire, leaving her an orphan.

To her, Rupert seemed like a normal boy her age, but when the time came for him to show his true form to others in their last moments on this earth, his form was more gruesome, more primal.

Unbeknownst to her, he was death, pure and raw, seething with power. With a single thought, he was a being able to end all life not only on this planet but in all of the universe. And in those last  moments the only thing they felt was fear.

As she grew older, she sometimes wondered why Rupert stayed with her long after the other children’s imaginary friends had long forgotten them and had cast themselves into the abyss, but she didn’t mind, she liked Rupert. She made friends with some of the other kids, however not long after they proclaimed their friendship toward her they left with no warning. Not even a word of goodbye, nor good luck.It made her heart cold, it made her angry, it made her want to push everyone away, and over time she did, she avoided getting to close to others in fear of being left alone again. There was one person who never left her though, Rupert. At times she thought, maybe he was real however she was quickly reminded of the fact that she was the only one who could see him.

For the longest time she wondered if there was something wrong with her, wondered if she was crazy, wondered if maybe Rupert was not the loving childhood friend she thought he was. And when the time came where death could no longer hold his illusion when she became to old and too smart to be fooled by it any longer, he had no choice but to reveal himself to her.

She thought that she was going crazy, as she got older there were times when she would look at Rupert and see him as something completely different something that gave her nightmares for days on end. He looked like the grim reaper, skin as white as parchment, and those dark hollow eyes seemed to haunt every fiber of her being. One day she awoke and Rupert wasn’t there like he always was. Something was wrong, this wasn’t normal. She rushed out of her room and down the stairs only to find the figure that haunted her dreams standing there, cloaked in swirling black with  bony fingers just barely visible under the cloak . She screamed only to find that nothing came out, she was being silenced. Then inside her head she heard the most terrifying voice she had ever heard. It was coarse and raspy, it made her want to rip her ears off, however she knew that would be to no avail.

dark_girl_and_grim_reaper_wallpaper

And that voice spoke, “you are old enough that i can reveal to you the secret of your life, I am Death and you are my vessel.”

“No this can’t be happening,” She said. “ this has to be a dream!”

Death spoke again, and this time his voice was soft, “Do not worry my child I am not here to harm you I have been here all along keeping watch over you, getting rid of the people you don’t need.”

“Rupert?” She asked.

“Yes I am Rupert, I am sorry I had to deceive you and I am sorry that i could not hold my illusion for longer, but you see my power is fading and I will soon cease to exist and you will take my place as death.” He said.

“What do you mean you will cease to exist you’re death as you say aren’t you immortal or something?” she asked.

Death spoke again this time an unsettling sadness to his voice, “ I have existed in this world for hundreds of years and i have done my job dutifully, however unfortunately I am not immortal and even I die, so near to the end I must choose a successor and I have chosen you.”

“What do you mean near the end, it’s been twenty-five years!?” she spoke.

She was so confused it was like her whole world was crashing down around her, and in that whirlwind she heard a scream from the door. She looked up to see that it was her best friend and boyfriend. She had forgotten that she had given him the keys, and she wondered why he was screaming and then she looked at Death , It felt weird seeing him as that thing, his true form. His eyes glowed an unearthly red and a scythe made of what seemed to be twisted bones and metal appeared in his hand and in that moment she felt her voice free and she yelled

“What are you doing?”

“My duty, to you and this world, for you to inherit my power, for the natural order to be upheld you can have no worldly connections that hold you back from your duty.” He spoke, this time his voice sounded angry filled with rage for the fact that someone and seen him in his true form.

“No!” She screamed as she put herself between the love of her life and Death.

“you can’t, you can’t do this to me!” She cried tears streaming down her face.

“ Oh but I can.” Death spoke.

This time the voice wasn’t in her head but the mouth that was once stitched together was ripped open and the words sounded like the shriek of something she had seen in movies. Suddenly she felt some invisible force slam her against the wall. She closed her eyes knowing what was about to happen to the only person who had ever loved her the only person who stayed by her side long enough for her to get to know them. Within moments she heard metal hit bone and she knew he was dead. When she opened her eyes there was no blood, no body, only death his scythe gone and his eyes back to normal.

“I truly am sorry that that had to be done however i thought i had given you enough warnings with all the others.” He said

“That was you?” She questioned.

“Yes that was me, and I am sorry for it.” He said in a somber tone.

Without another word she went back up to her room. He recognised that she wanted to be alone so he left her that way, after all he was human once upon a time. This went on for the next few days where she would just ignore his presence and on the fourth day she spoke

“ who was the boy you showed me for all those years?”

“ That was who I was when I was human.” He exclaimed

“And the name Rupert?” she asked

“I planted it in your head because i wanted to be called by the name my mother gave me at least once before I died.” He said with a genuine hint of sadness in his voice.

“What is it like? She asked, “Being death?”

“ For the first hundred years or so you retain your mortal form, but after your humanity diminishes to a  certain point the power starts to take over and you transform into what I am now and your heart grows black and cold.” He spoke

As he said this, a silver signet ring with a black gemstone appeared on his left hand. The gem seemed to be alive as it pulsed with energy, a black swirling mass contained within it’s crystal walls. Carefully he removed the ring from his finger, and his form bagen to shift. Slowly he handed her the ring and it shifted from a heavy signet ring into a delicate ring for a woman’s hand.

As Death handed her the ring he spoke, his form shimmering and slowly fading into dust.

“Goodbye my friend, you were the only one to treat me even remotely like I was a still a human and I will always thank you…”

And with that final word he faded leaving only black little fireflies buzzing around the room.

“It’s funny,” she thought to herself, “life even comes from death.”

She slipped the ring onto her finger, and in that moment what seemed to be all the knowledge in the universe flooded into her mind. At first it hurt but slowly she began to understand it. In her final moment of being a human, of being normal, she said one thing and one thing only.

“Goodbye.”

And with that she was gone not a trace left as if she was wiped from existence itself.

girl

Image 1: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/monster/images/5/55/Grim_reaper.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090507165214

Image 2: http://hdwallpaperbackgrounds.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/dark_girl_and_grim_reaper_wallpaper.jpg

Image 3 :https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/dc/43/92/dc43929d40ef814a40944d879de62a7b.jpg