I’d like to preface this by saying this story is long from being complete but this is what I have for now.

I started writing this story a long time ago as an assignment for an English class I was in at the time.

I finished it back then and I forgot about it because I really didn’t think of my self as a writer. As I

was looking through my old laptop this year I found the old file and I read it and thought to myself

wow, I sucked at writing, so I wanted to see how much better I’d gotten and here we are.

I’m going to put the original story at the end of this post if you really want a glimpse into the mind of

14 year old me.

Anyways enjoy.

One Way Ticket To Infinity

By: Aaman Merali

Chapter I

There are always things that are difficult to explain and the things that are abnormal are the most difficult out of all, but I guess not a lot is abnormal when you live in a world like mine. In my world, almost anything is possible, from people having the power to control the elements to mind readers, and anything else supernatural you can think of. It may seem amazing and it would be if only people weren’t absorbed by the powers they were given and used them to do some good instead of for their own gain. I guess this is what we asked for though. So you see as kids no one has any powers or special abilities but when we get to the age of eleven we can ask one thing of the universe, or whoever made it that is, and that wish will be granted. For the most part. It’s a complex system and no one knows how it’s going to turn out until it happens. Some are less fortunate than others, their wishes are only partly fulfilled and their powers are too insignificant to be useful so they are put to work doing menial labour or some other worthless job. I always thought I was one of them, an abandoned soul. I hated it. I wanted to be something, do something, but what’s the use in dreaming of something that will never happen.

As a kid I used to read stories about all the heroes that used their powers to do incredible things, I used to think everyone was like that, I used to think that everyone no matter how powerful they were would use their gift to do good. Now that I am older I see that I was entirely wrong, people are greedy creatures, and if they can do anything to get ahead they will. Things didn’t always use to be this way, everyone was equal and people could choose what they wanted to do but then a few extremely powerful people toppled the governments of the world one by one, they were untouchable and eventually the world surrendered to them they took over everything, the government, the schools, every detail of our society was planned out by them and those whose powers don’t have much use don’t get a say in anything.

Everyone got assigned a job when they turned 18 and the more powerful you were the better the job you would get, no one cared how smart you were or how skilled you were at a task, all they cared about was how powerful you were. I always thought it was so if someone seemed useful to the conclave, (the government), they would be closer to them: I was right.

Today was the day I went in to be assigned my job, I’ve been dreading this day since the moment I knew what it was, knowing I would be assigned a mundane task with no way to move up and no way to get out. But I had made peace with my fate. I sat in that blank waiting room for what seemed like hours, watching people come and go. Everyone had a different reaction to being assigned, some came out like they had just been given the best news in the world, others came out fighting, begging for them to reconsider trying to show them that they had some use. But most came out with dead eyes and hopeless faces. They had accepted their fate and just wanted to get on with life. I didn’t know what they did to people in that room but I was terrified of going in, and they could see it.

“Alistair Silver,” shouted the receptionist, “ it’s your turn to go in.”

I rose slowly out of the uncomfortable chair and walked with uncertainty into the next room. A man stood at the door in a full suit of combat gear armed with a rifle. Whoever is in this room must be incredibly important I  thought to myself. The guard put his rifle to the side and motioned for me to raise my arms, he patted me down like a criminal and after finding nothing he let me through the door.

I stepped into a room that was almost unnatural, everything was smooth and jarringly white, from floor to ceiling. It was barren except for a white desk and two chairs. There was a man on the other side of the desk who seemed to be in his late forties or early fifties judging by the specks of grey in his hair and the age-worn look of his hands. He had his eyes closed as he cleaned an ancient looking pair of glasses with a cloth that had initials stitched into it, V.W, it read.

It was odd I thought to have a first name that starts with a v, it’s not very traditional. The thought was quickly pushed out of my head by my nerves. After realising I had been standing there staring at this man for what seemed like ages I moved to take a seat, as I got to the chair a voice from behind me spoke in a low and heavily accented voice.

“What do you think you are doing boy, that’s my seat.”

His accent was foreign, German perhaps. I didn’t want to anger this man any more than I already had so I quickly stepped away from the chair. I glanced over at the man to gauge his reaction to all this not expecting who I would find. Major Solf. J. Kimblee. The most terrifying man I’ve ever seen. He was a destroyer of incredible power, a man capable of levelling an entire city with nothing but a snap of his fingers. And he had, he was the military’s last resort only being called in at the end of a battle when things were either dire or needed wiping off the face of the planet. People called him a hero for what he had done, I called him a psychopath. He killed millions without even giving it a second thought, in fact, it seemed as if he enjoyed his job.

Major Kimblee dragged the chair around the table and sat beside the other man, and taking the not so subtle hint I stood opposite them trying to look as important as I possibly could. The other man sat silently staring at me. The major began to get impatient and decided to begin the interview whether or not the other man was ready or not so he began his onslaught of questions.

“ Who are you?”

“Alistar Silver.”

“And what is your power?”

“ I’m sorry to say sir but I don’t have one.”

“ Stop lying to me kid, I don’t like it when people lie.”

I can say for a fact that I had never been that scared of another person in my entire life. His eyes had turned from indifferent and cold to ruthless and calculating in a split second. Finally, the other man spoke,

“ The kid is telling the truth Kimblee, he hasn’t got any powers.”

“Well if he’s just another zero put him on trash duty and stop wasting my time,” without realising what he was doing kimblee grabbed a notepad off the desk and threw it at the wall,  or more accurately through the wall. Red sparks flying off of his hands following the notebook. The sound of drywall splitting and metal being dented alerted him to what he had done.

“ Oh sorry about your wall Wolfie.”

“ How many times must I tell you my name is Von Wulfric, say it properly or not at all major.”

“Come on I was just trying to have a little fun seeing as though our friend here isn’t going to provide us with any.”

“Major Kimblee if I hear another word out of your mouth I will have you stripped of your rank, your powers, and your status. Is that understood?

“ Yeah, sure General whatever you say.”

The general turned away with a sigh as if he knew there was no use trying to tell the major anything.

“ Good, now if you would let me finish what I was saying, he is not a zero he has no rank.”

“ That’s not possible everyone has a rank, if someone is useless you should be able to tell.”

“ I know that but there isn’t anything for me to read here Kimblee.”

“ Maybe you’re losing your edge wolfie.” Kimblee said with a rather smug expression on his face

“ I most certainly am not, now if you will go fetch Ms. Windale she will tell us what to do with him.”

“Certainly… wolfie.” And just like that Kimblee sauntered out of the room with the confidence of a man who thought that he was invincible, and was.

This place was strange, hell this entire scenario was strange why couldn’t they just let me go and give me some shit job to do until I die and get this over with I’m certain that these people have better thing to do.

“ So Mr. Silver,” General Wulfric said while reading a file, “ you were born here in the republic?”

“Yes, sir right here in Norvaile.”

“And your mother is a…”

“Government official, she’s a records keeper at the first branch.”

“And your father?”

“ I never knew him, he ran off before I was born and never came back.”

“And your mother never speaks of him.”

“ No, it’s a bit of a sore spot for her so I try not to bring it up.”

General Wulfric put down the file and sauntered over to me inquisitively as if he was studying me, a puzzle for him to solve was what I had become.  

“ So a kid with no rank, no powers, and a parent that seemingly doesn’t exist walks into a room to be given a job, what would you do with a kid like that Mr. Silver?”

“ Give him a job doing some shit work and get it over with… sir.”

“ Ah, so you suggest that I let the biggest anomaly of our time just waltz out the door?”

“ When you put it like that…”

Luckily Kimblee was whistling his way back down the hall with Ms. Windale and General Wulfric let up on me and straightened the room as much as he could for a blank room.  

“ You better behave yourself when Mrs. Whindale gets here I don’t want you making me look bad.”  Wulfric looked at me with absolute contempt, I guess I made him look bad. At this point, Kimblee strode into the room whistling an old children’s tune if I remember the words it went something like this,

One for the hangman

Two for the crows

Three for the burning man

Four for the post.

That’s all of the lyrics I remember but overall a really messed up song, pretty fitting for a man like Kimblee. Either way, he walked in happy whistling followed by this average looking woman with a short blonde bob cut and a cane that she leaned on heavily.

“Hello General Wulfric long time no see.” Mrs. Windale said with a genuine smile spread across her face.  She seemed nice but there was this aura about her that said she was not a person to be messed with like there was this dark presence that surrounded her. At this point, Kimblee seemed to be getting impatient within the silence and said,

“ So Catrina what did you want with this runt?”

Suddenly Kimblee was on his knees gasping for air.

“ Major Kimblee how many times must you be told to only speak when you’re spoken to?”  With that, she released her hold on Kimblee and he fell to the ground gasping for air.

“ Ah, Alistar Silver I’ve been waiting a long time to meet you. My name is Catrina Windale, Secretary of Defence for the Council.

At this I was dumbfounded what could one of the highest-ranking military officers in the world, a person who could make someone who wipes nations off maps for a living look like a scared little kid, want with a kid like me.

So now for the original

One Way Ticket to Infinity

By: Aaman Merali

It was a gloomy day in the springtime of London. A year ago is when I realised I was different than everyone else. I realised I could have anything that I wanted at the snap of my fingers. Now before you go ahead and assume I’m just some rich brat, I can assure you I am not one of those jerks. Up until a year ago, I was just a poor, orphaned high school student with no friends, but now, I am fighting for my very existence. First let me tell you how it all started…

“Hahahaha” Laughter busted out in the classroom, as I had just finished telling my best and final joke. As the awkward silence arose as my classmates, awaited another. As I realised they were waiting for another one, I busted out in laughter and managed to push out the words, “Sorry that was my last one.” They all busted out a sigh and returned to their work. And the teacher finally came back to the class. Forgetting I was sitting on the desk, I quickly jumped off and busted my ass back to my desk before the teacher had a chance to get upset about anything. But enough about my normal life was like, let’s get to the exciting part.

I was walking home the same day when something or rather someone caught my eye. It was a girl sitting alone in a dark alleyway. She seemed familiar to me, but I couldn’t place her. It wasn’t until I got closer that I noticed the lanyard hanging out of her bag. It was the very same and given to every student in school, it was that moment she noticed me and looked up to see who I was, I noticed who exactly I was dealing with. Her name was Tessa. Quite the popular figure at school but not very social with anyone at school. Then after I was relieved of this shock, I noticed a large pool of crimson blood under her and panicked.

“I am only a high school student,” I thought to myself “I don’t know what to do about an open wound” and as I was freaking out, Tessa started to chuckle and addressed my worry about the blood.

“Don’t worry, it isn’t mine. It’s his.” She exclaimed indicating a body further down the alleyway. I exhaled a sigh of relief and helped her to her feet.

“How did you find me?” she questioned, “I haven’t seen you since that day…”

“What day?” I inquired.

“The day you were taken by the underground don’t you remember?” she asked worriedly

“No, no I don’t remember anything other than who I am and who you are,” I stated.

“Oh no, it’s worse than I thought… I just hope they didn’t take your transcendence.” She worried

Perplexed I asked what she was talking about. She replied by saying that “Our transcendence was a power given to the less fortunate of mankind  by the creators of the universe, however, we must pay the price of our sanity and the very thing that makes us human, our souls, the more we use our powers and the more influential our powers are the faster our minds slip away into nothingness and the more our souls start to fade.”

“What are you talking about?! I don’t have any special powers and neither do you.” I protested

“Fine if you don’t believe me I’ll show you!” She announced

She then loosened her tie, flexed her muscles, and in a split second angel wing sprouted out spreading stark black into the raining sky and at that moment it all busted back into my head like some closet filled to the brim with memories being opened and flooded every fibre of my being with pain. The one way I can describe it was being ripped apart and smashed back together thousands of times. In that moment all I wanted was for it to be over and not only the pain, but the whole universe to stop existing as a whole. Than all I felt was an immense warmth. A warmth that made me forget about all of the pain and show me the good times I had and all the memories over the past year all the good things I have done with these powers. As this warmth came over me i realised that the things people say about the transcended are not true, we are not creatures of the void, of nothingness we are also humans we were just given the power to either make the world a better place and some of us just chose to try to take control instead. I then realised I have the greatest powers in the universe and those powers were even rival to gods maybe even the creators themselves. But I had flaws so I could not even be close to them  in a sense. They was divine and I was just a mere mortal. Than the worst revelation of them all. I knew who my capture was, and to be honest I wasn’t the least bit surprised. Lucas, was his name and he was so far the most envious person of my powers I had ever met. He was destructive, dangerous and had no problem killing innocent people if they got in his way. He was the leader of the underground and was jealous because my power was infinity. I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and barely have to pay a price. Lucas was the high warlock of London, however his powers were constricted to the natural elements and nothing further than that, whilst mine were only confined by my imagination alone.

“Hey, are you okay?” Tessa asked.

“Yea, what happened?” I questioned?

She chuckled “You passed out… do you remember anything?”

“Yes, I remember it all… my powers, what has been happening, but the one thing I don’t understand is if I asked the universe for infinity and got to be a god, then what did you ask that gave you wings?”

She then replied with one simple word. “Freedom.”

Then with a sigh, she inquired, “But none of that matters. We need to find out who did this.”

With a sigh, I responded with “I know who did this. It was Lucas.”

“Lucas that crazy bastard! I should have known! All he wants is your powers, he wants to be a god…”

I then simply responded with, “Well, he’s done enough damage for a lifetime. It may be time to send him back to the hellfire he came from.”

“Well then, let’s go catch ourselves a demon.”

Sadly it took us longer than I thought to be able to find the nest and when we got there it was gone. We kept searching for months and months but kept getting the same results. I then decided it was worth using my powers and finding him even at the cost of some of my sanity and soul. As we readied for war, I’m sure the other side was doing the same.  When we went in it was like all hell broke loose in those tunnels. People with shotguns around every corner, people with powers similar to ours but not as powerful and even some of our old friends that wanted to fight but most decided to back down and just run when they saw me behind Tess. She then scoffed and asked “Where the hell is the real challenge in this place? HUH?! WHERE ARE YOU LUCAS? SCARED OF US?!”

I then asked, “Could keep your voice down or am I going to have to tape it shut?”

When we finally reach Lucas, he was channelling all the mana he could get for the fight, because he knew we were coming. When we stepped into his chamber, he spoke first. “So. You guys finally decided to come for me eh? Took you lot long enough.”

Tessa snarkily remarked, “We wanted to save the best for last and savour our sweet, sweet revenge. Because when this is done, there is going to be no trace of you left of the face of this earth.”

“You… You think you have what it takes to wipe me off the map? Maybe in a million years but as you are now, there is no way in hell you can beat me.” He sneered.

And when the battle commenced there were clashes of lighting. I couldn’t even see them. They were so fast that I couldn’t even keep up. But at one point Tess was about to crash from Lucas finally hitting her. Thankfully I got there in time and caught her and she cheekily replied, “You didn’t have to do that for me love.”

“I wouldn’t have made a different choice even if I had an option doll. I would sacrifice my life for you, Tess. Now, why don’t you rest tight over here while I go finish this creep off once and for all so that he can’t mess with anyone else ever again.” I then kissed her on the lips and went to go take this fucker down for good.

I then decided it was time to use my full powers and let Lucas have his best shot before his death and how it’s like to cross a god. “Lucas! Come down here and face me like a man! Don’t hide in the air like a little coward.” I slyly said while gesturing him to come closer. He charged at me, luckily I was able to dodge him in time and make a weapon for myself. Just as he was about to come back around and punch me with his fiery fist I thrust my sword into his chest. knowing that wasn’t enough to kill him he retreated to the air. I wanted to finish this as fast as I could so I taunted him telling him that he was afraid of me and that I was much stronger than he will ever be.

He then charged in like a bull screaming that he was going to kill me but then got caught up in the little spider web I had set out before he had even started charging. “What the hell! What’s going on!!” he proclaimed.

I then explained that he was trapped in a spider web that I had created and that he was going back to hell where he came from, but the only person that knew the true price of sending someone to the put was me. It would cost all of me my transcendence and also one other transcendence in the area. I had already talked this over with Tess and she was fine with it since we already had a child growing in her with both the powers of an angel and a god.

Lucas whined and begged not to get sent down but we already had our minds set because of all the torture that he had put everyone I loved through and for the most part what he had done to me while having me kidnapped, and made me forget about everything he had done so that he could kill more people while I was trying to regain my memories.

When I started to recite the incantation to send him to hell, he screamed that he would return and he would be even greater than this time and that we would regret ever meeting and sending to hell one day. When I was done with the spell, I felt nothing for a second, but then I felt the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my entire life! It was like hellfire was burning my transcendence right out of me and I had brought this upon myself so  I couldn’t even curse the god that gave it to me for taking it away. After the pain stopped I then heard Tess start to scream and I couldn’t do anything as her wings were ripping themselves out of her back and there was blood going everywhere but not hers. It was Lucas’s he was slowly getting engulfed in hellfire and being dragged down to his grave by Satan himself. And in a blink of an eye, I couldn’t see him anymore. He was just gone no trace of him was left just burned and took down under for eternity. Afterwards, I slowly crawled to Tess and helped her up and we helped each other walk out of this place to start living and leave all of this behind us forever.

Then six years later our beautiful set of twins have grown into their powers and  have started to learn to control them, but they have their own power the power of absolution a power that would have had surpassed even my own, if I still had them, they don’t have to worry about their sanity or their souls because the hellfire burned the darkness out of them. Their names are Ethan and Luna, and everything has changed for us. We haven’t seen Lucas since that day and we hope he never returns but if he does we have a pair of half angel half god combo to show him that he is nothing special and that he can be beaten easily.

So that’s it the old and the new. Let me know what you all think of it.